Thursday, June 24, 2010

Stillness

As I was walking out of my granddaughter's daycare today, I happened to notice a bluebird perched on the branch of a crepe myrtle. Something made me stop to appreciate the beautiful richness of the blue on his back combined with the red breast. When I approached he flew away but happened to land on my car. Again I stopped and wondered at such an awesome creation. Deep within me I felt that I had been given a sign from God of reassurance that He was with me and wanted me to know how special I am to Him.



When I arrived back at home, I felt an urgency to begin working on the many tasks that were bombarding my brain....make the beds, do the dishes, wash some clothes, sweep the floors. Then a still voice within me beckoned me to my sunroom to just sit, be still and enjoy the quiet of the morning.


So here I sit with a cup of tea. In the distance I hear a train and watch as birds fly in and out of the trees outside the window. At first I had to struggle with my mind to overcome the feeling that I was being lazy or irresponsible. Then I looked down at my hands. I mean really looked at my hands...and realized they have lost their youth. Fifty years have past...life hasn't been easy...it shows in my hands...


When I look up I see a robin sitting on our fence. He's a bit odd because he has a black and white speckled head. We first noticed him when we moved here almost five years ago and he has remained a constant visitor throughout all the seasons. My husband and I speculate that he is quite old. I’m not sure if birds grow white on top as they age- but that is the tale we tell of him. Often times I have tried to take a picture of this unusual bird but have yet to capture him on film. A frequent, elusive visitor...I know the day will come when I realize I haven't seen him for a while.


My mind stills itself as I once again sense the gift of reassurance that I am special and I feel comforted. Peaceful stillness...my elusive visitor.  I take another sip of tea.

3 comments:

  1. I like his tell tale and the tale you tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOh such fine writing
    and yes joy is to felt and seen and paid attention to
    it's already there...
    I think you have a few childhood tapes reeling around in you....pull them out strand by strand..toss
    use your Ipod of life to rack your own tunes!
    best to you sweet woman
    I'm following you

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite so far...i felt as i was with you. i love you.

    ReplyDelete